The weathersatellite program wsat is now also available for Windows. It is compiled using gcc-ming using
GTK for Windows.
The source code is identical to the code for the Linux wsat program.
If using the parallelport to connect to the decoder wsat works under:
- Windows 95, 98, ME
- Windows NT, 2000, XP using Porttalk
or logged in as 'administrator'(?)
If using the USB port wsat works under:
- Windows XP (no Porttalk or other extra program needed)
- Vista, Windows 7: Unknown
Sources are available; see download section.
Manual: wsat_man.zip (pdf) (Old!)
Manual: HTML (Updated 2010.01)
Back to weather satellite homepage
Short feature overview of version 2011.03a:
- Read, write and show following formats:
- PGM format (1 and 2 bytes per pixel)
- PPM format
- GIF format (read of pictures with big smooth areas doesn't work properly)
- HRPT1 format
- CHRPT1 format
- HRI1 format
- MHRPT1 format
- Record using the FPGA-decoder:
- Linearize (C)HRPT pictures
- Temperature mapping
- Skip faulty lines
- Auto calc. lum thresholds
- Add grid (HRI)
- Combine channels to get colorized pictures
- Align channels of CHRPT pictures
- Read and save NORAD 2-lines Kepler data
- Auto save Kepler-data after record
- Add lon/lat lines in (C)HRPT picture
- Conversion channels 3-5 into temperature (HRPT)
- Batch (non-gui) mode for record
- USB or parallelport interface
Use new page for newer versions.
- You need setup_wsat.exe AND setup_gtk20dll.exe.
- For updating to a new release only setup_wsat.exe needs to be re-installed.
- All files need to be installed into one directory.
Note: setup_gtk20dll.exe is common for all my programs, including xtrack and xrit2pic.
So if all these programs are installed into one directory (which is the case by default)
then you need to download/install just 1 time setup_gtk20dll.exe.
- The setup will (re-)create an icon on your desktop.
If you don't want that or if you changed properties of the icon then check:
"Don't create a Start Menu folder"
at the 'Select Start Menu Folder' stage during installation.
|Version||Type||Download||Download size||Sources available||Comment
|tracker used to set decoder
|Added option to disable read decoder mode
|Added option to disable read decoder mode
|Added reed solomon
Separate chices for FY-AB and C
|capture usb-data enhanced
prepared for ft232h
|'Live' Fengyun during record
Fengyun format decoding, translation to C10 format
File manager: time-of-files added; sort by time
|Added Fengyun (beta)
wait times adapted; all satellites: unit of 1/6 sec
metfy3x filename format
|Added write in hpt format
Metop: catch callibration
bugfix tracker: limits manual window
|Added write in jpeg
Corrected AVHRR extraction; ch 1->2->3->4->5->1
save colour mapping channels
|enhanced metop support
Changed default XY: X/Y=0 -> east/north
|Added metop; fixes
From 2010 on wsat uses gtk2.0 libs. You need to download and run setup_gtk20dll.exe.
Make sure that these dll's are installed in the same directory as wsat! By default it will be installed in a directory called xrit2pic.
If you already have xrit2pic:
Install wsat in the same directory (change defaults during installation) You don't need to install setup_gtk20dll.exe again.
If you don't have xrit2pic:
Install wsat in its default directory ('wsat')
Install gtk20dll in the same directory as wsat
For this wsat also a USB dll is needed: ftd2xx.dll. This is in setup_wsat. Make sure that it is placed in the same dir. as wsat!
Old versions (use gtk1.2)
Download: wsat_man.zip (125k, pdf)
wsat is now available as self-installing executable.
That's it. An icon will be available on your desktop.
- Download setup_wsat.exe
- Download setup_gtk20dll.exe
- Run setup_wsat.exe; follow instructions. (For default installation you only need to press 'Next' on each page.)
- If the USB interface is needed make sure to select also ftd2xx
for installation (on the "Slect Components" page).
- Run setup_gtk20dll.exe and follow instructions.
- If the parallelport interface is needed you need Porttalk.
- If USB port will be used make sure that you select "USB" in Preferences, page "Interface".
Failing to do so may cause a crash of the program if one of the Record windows
is opened, and porttalk isn't used.
Bugs and work-arounds.
Although the sources for the Linux and Windows program are the same the Windows version behaves a bit different compared to the Linux wsat. I had to change the sources on a few points to let Windows' Wsat 'work'.
Parallelport access under Windows 2000 and XP only works using Porttalk, or if logged in as 'Administrator'. Up to now I have confirmation that Windows-XP works in combination with Porttalk' and that Windows-2000 works if logged in as 'Administrator'.
'porttalk' is a driver making it possible to access the parallelport as normal user. Wsat has to be started as follows:
if parallelport nr. 1 is used or:
if parallelport nr. 2 is used.
In future releases this functionality will be built in into wsat.
This is a test version of wsat.exe. It can be changed any time without notice and can show unexpected behaviour. For normal use download this version!
||wsat program gtk2.0
||Meteor N2: fix in format|
all fixed now (plot during record still to fix)
fixed gamma setting
adapted filenaming with 'file save'
- During record there is no proper channel drawing. (to be fixed).
- Reading a MeteorM-N2 data-file is supported for files generated/captured by wsat and also other programs.
wsat will add a header with length 1024, starting with "M2HR".
If this header is missing wsat will still be able to read the file.